Pioneers of offshore wind energy from the North Sea coast
A year ago, on June 30th 2020, the project “Trianel Windpark Borkum 2” (TWB 2) was successfully delivered. This ambitious wind farm located in the North Sea required 3 years of project development and 2 years of construction time. The 32 rotors operating nowadays generate an output of 200 megawatts which supplies 130.000 households with renewable energy. TWB 2 is the result of Omexom absolute passion for the offshore renewables sector. The installation work for the first turbine started in July 2019. By mid of 2020 all 32 turbines have been handed over to the operations department.
3 phases to success
In the scope of project development and implementation, Omexom has been in charge for the technical project management, divided in the following subprojects:
- Foundation structures: technical management in design, engineering as well as installation and commissioning of the monopiles and transition pieces
- Inner array cables: technical management in design, engineering, and installation of the cable system from offshore substation to wind turbines on the sea floor as well as its commissioning
- Wind turbines:
- Manufacturing process of the nacelles (incl. subcontractor production and assembly), rotor blades and towers
- Transport and preparation and spare part management in the base harbor
- Installation and commissioning of the offshore wind turbines
To stay on track – even if there are rough waters
“The expansion of the offshore wind energy is still an important mission with huge opportunities but also providing technical challenges far away from every routine” says managing director Irina Lucke.
Good planning and coordination of works helped the project partners to secure the production and the delivery of all turbines. The final project has been successfully delivered to the operation team. However, Omexom is still in charge of the service and maintenance of the substructures and the offshore substation.
Omexom takes pride in its pioneer position in the offshore wind sector since the 2000s with a first offshore wind project held in Germany. These empirical values and technical expertise have led TWB 2 to success.
The expansion of the offshore wind energy is still an important mission with huge opportunities but also providing technical challenges far away from every routine.
Business unit Manager, Omexom Renewable Energies Offshore